Monday 3 June 2013

My first blog



So here it is, I've finally decided after a long deliberation to start blogging about my love for baking sweet things. Not that I really need an excuse to try out, and of course taste new sugary foods, but I thought this might be abit of fun and an opportunity to share some recipes with fellow bakers.

Here's my first recipe: rhubarb and almond crumble. The rhubarb was fresh from my mum's allotment and the recipe is so easy and delicious. Give it a try, it was a winner in my house enjoyed after a roast dinner...

Serves 6-8
Ingredients
500g rhubarb
6oz/170g Demerara sugar
5oz/142g plain flour
1oz/28g ground almonds
3oz/85g margarine
Flaked almonds to decorate

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan oven). Chop the rhubarb into short chunks and place with 3oz/85g of the Demerara sugar into a saucepan, heat gently until soft which should take about 15-20 mins, take off the heat and leave to cool.
2. To make the crumble put the flour, ground almonds and margarine into a bowl and rub together until it resembles a fine breadcrumb like texture. Add the rest of the Demerara sugar and mix.
3. Put the rhubarb mixture into an oven proof dish and spread the crumble mixture over the top, sprinkle a little Demerara sugar ontop for added crunch and then scatter the flaked almonds and bake for 25mins until slightly golden brown. Add some cream or custard and enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment